Monday, January 21, 2008

Despite All Contrary Reports--I'm Alive!

All right--let me just clear the air by saying that I have had a difficult week but, despite the challenges, I have come out alive! I know that some of you received messages from Mom that may have led you to believe that I was on my death bed and, although we understand Mom's tendency to exaggerate, I have to admit that this time even I had my doubts for a second.
About four days after the surgery, the therapy was going fine other than the fact that I had a pain in my upper quad. Thinking that I was just cramping because I was working so hard, I paid little attention to it, but a couple of days later I couldn't stand it anymore and Mom took me in to the doctor. We tried to explain to him what I felt, but he didn't really want to listen. Finally, Mom suggested that we do an ultrasound to see if I had a clot. The doctor kind of brushed it off but finally agreed and we headed down to the clinic. After a thorough look, the ultrasound tech concluded that I did not; however she only checked the hamstring and calf sections of my leg. I informed her where the pain was so she checked the quad and found it. She called in the radiologist to have him look at it as well, and the two told me that was the first time they had ever discovered a blood clot in that location. So, after finding that, I was hooked up with some blood thinner medication and told to go home.
Later that night, I started to feel ill and in the morning had a fever of over 101. It was a Saturday and my normal doctors were not available, but I called the online doctor who told me that I should go to the hospital. I held out for a couple hours but Ana and I finally decided that we should be sure and we headed to the hospital. Well, after a couple scans of my chest they concluded that the clot probably had not moved to my chest. They had no reason for the fever, told me to take Tylenol and sent me out the door.
Today, Monday, I woke up feeling horrible. My fever was over 102, I couldn't breathe, and I had a deep cough. We went to my family physician who tested me and told me that I have Influenza B and, with no better way of describing it, diagnosed me as slightly asthmatic. He gave me some medicine, told me to rest for the week, and sent me home. Needless to say that the medicine has worked fantastic and I feel so much better. I can't believe the difference that the enhaler makes! I used to think that I had difficulty breathing after walking up the stairs because I am fat and out of shape, but now I know that is only 75% of the problem!
Anyways, thanks to everyone who has helped us during this past week--especially Kari who watched our kids and Mom who watched me and the kids--but also to everyone who has called, written, and visited.

2 comments:

Sheryl, Derick, and Kaylie said...

Hey I am so glad to hear that you are doing better. After talking to mom I thought you were a gonner! I'm sure she was influenced by some of grandma's exaggeration of course. I'm on track break for the next few weeks so let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.

Kristi Williquette said...

Hope you're doing well shane...looks pretty painful! Wish we could be there to help out.