Saturday, August 9, 2008

Weight Loss

The other day I was sitting with a few friends from work when we started to talk about the UFC. For those of you not familiar with the UFC, it is the Ultimate Fighting Championship, a competition that involves a mixture of all the martial arts. During our conversation, my boss stated that if he were to lose 30 lbs. and get to his prime weight that he would be able to beat the middleweight champion, George St. Pierre. The discussion became a little heated as he was really serious about his statement. Ultimately, we concluded that we all were overweight and needed to stop talking about getting in shape and actually do it, so we all committed to lose 10 percent of our body weight. Of course, this all happened while we were sitting at McDonalds finishing our Big Macs, Double Cheeseburgers, large fries, and supersized soft drinks.
Now, we couldn't just do this for the heck of it; we needed to post something. We all decided to put in $25 dollars with the idea that the first to lose the weight would take the money. But we didn't want the rest to feel like failures and gain back anything that the may have lost, so we also decided that if all participants reached the goal of 10%, all of us would go to Vegas (Ana still doesn't know about that part.)
Before we could start, we needed to verify our weight. Since WalMart was right next to McDonalds, we all walked over, grabbed a scale off the aisle, and stepped up to see the gory details. While I won't mention the weight of the others, I will admit to being on the verge of obesity, tipping the scales at a plump 200 lbs. even. That meant that I would need to lose 20 lbs. in order to go to Vegas and do it faster than the others in order to win the money.
All of this happened 2 1/2 weeks ago and, needless to say, no one has achieved the goal yet but all of us have progressed. The first week, I dropped 5 lbs. to 195. A few days later I had lost another two pounds and was at 193. Since that last weigh in I stopped weighing myself--until today. Today I stepped on the scale and read 184.6. Thats an incredible weight loss of 15.4 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks and only 4.6 lbs. from my goal of 180.
Many of you might think that most of this is water loss or I am putting myself at risk; however, the great thing about being obese is that you carry horrible habits, such as: 200- 300 ounces of Coke a day (and that was probably cutting in half what I used to drink), extreme portions, and late night eating. I just needed to change my ways. Having overcome those habits, losing the weight has pretty much been downhill from there. Not to mention that I am now running about 15 - 20 miles a week. Who would have thought that a meaningless arguement could have lead to such an important change in my life.

1 comment:

Kristi Williquette said...

We watched the UFC fight the other night and that st. pierre guy is INSANE.... Good luck on the weight loss though!